San Bartolomé de la Torre
San Bartolomé de la Torre is named after a thirteenth century tower on the outskirts. The town is famous for the ancient tradition of the Danza de las Espadas (Dance of the Swords) which is incorporated in several local festivals throughout the year. The new town hall was built around an old olive oil mill to preserve it and it is now a museum.
San Bartolomé de la Torre is located in the region of Andévalo, Huelva, on a plain surrounded by eucalyptus trees. The flat land and foothills of Andévalo support both agriculture and livestock which has attracted settlements since Neolithic times.
The bronze age Dolmen Corredor burial ground is nearby at Las Palmas and some of the remains from there are exhibited in the Archaeological museum in Huelva. Also in the museum are several finds from the Roman era including inscriptions on stone, a large bronze of Hadrian, a large pillar of concrete and coins.
The whole of the area was conquered in 1257 by Alfonso X from the King of the Taifa of Niebla, Ibn Mahfuz. Following the conquest came a territorial reorganization which left the area under the jurisdiction of Gibraleón.
During the late sixteenth century San Bartolomé de la Torre was under the control of Marquis of Gibraleón and the county of Niebla. Much of the documentation of later years was destroyed during the War of Independence and so the exact time when it became a municipality is unknown.
However, According to Juan A. Márquez Domínguez, in his book San Bartolomé de la Torre la Tierra y sus Hombres, the town was founded in 1589. As was customary at the time it was by a town charter granted by the Marqués de Gibraleón.
Today its main production is the cultivation of citrus fruits, strawberries and olives. However recently a thriving services sector is becoming of increasing economical importance.
San Bartolomé de la Torre is famous for the ancient tradition of the Danza de las Espadas (Dance of the Swords) which continues to this day and is incorporated in several local festivals throughout the year. The statue outside the new town hall is a tribute the sword dancers.
While in San Bartolomé de la Torre take advantage of what the wonderful ovens have to offer. Pan serrano (mountain bread), traditional tortas de chicharrones (rolls with crispy pork), los roscos de manteca (doughnuts) and los hornazos (meat pie)
Places of Interest
The medieval tower is located about 700 meters from the town centre on a small hill. The tower dates to a period between the middle to late thirteenth century. At that time the territory was immersed in major upheavals and riots, skirmishes with the kingdom of Sevilla and there were border problems with neighbouring Portugal. This watchtower controlled the points of communication with the mountainous mining area and the coastline.
Iglesia del Apóstol San Bartolomé
(Church of the Apostle St. Bartholomew)
The Baroque style church dates from the eighteenth century and is located in the Plaza de España.
Burial gound on the hillock of Las Palmas
Museo del Aceite
(Olive Oil Museum)
The museum occupies part of the ground floor of the new municipal building and preserves the original layout of the mill. The construction of the town hall was completed without moving parts of the oil mill.
The Roman necropolis located southeast of the village and a megalithic tomb
Town Hall Address
Ayuntamiento de San Bartolomé de la Torre
Plaza de España, 1
San Bartolomé de la Torre 21510
Tel: 959 386 001
© 2012 John Powell DiscoverHuelva.com